My second Spreecast was better and worse than the first.
It was worse because we got hit with a few technical gremlins, resulting in the videocast being split into two segments, which are embedded below.
But it was substantially better because I had my first live
victim guest, Brian Brady from sunny San Diego, California.
Brian was one of the winners in the Tea Party’s victories last night, taking a seat on the San Diego County Republican Party’s Central Committee. He and I talked about his win last night and about the Tea Party’s prospects in office.
These were my notes for the broadcast, fleshed out to a fuller summary:
- Tea Party victories — Detailing last night’s wins, especially in Wisconsin and California
- Anti-Occupy Santa’s Lap? — Was part of what we saw last night a counter-reaction to the childish nonsense of the Occupy movement?
- Big reforms — What might the Tea Party accomplish in Washington? What could we hope that they might repeal?
- Commerce clause
- General welfare clause
- 16/17th Amendments
- Sovereign immunity
- Practical reforms — What kinds of reforms might we look for at the state a local levels?
- Repeal business regulation
- Eliminate agencies and departments
- Cut, cut, cut — This is what I hope will be the governing philosophy of Tea Party candidates
- Cut spending
- Cut taxes
- Cut regulation
- Cut government staffing
- Cut government-owned real and chattel property — especially weapons
- Cut red tape
- Insiderism — This is my fear for Tea Party candidates, once they are elected
- The family business — It’s hard to say “no” to people you like
- Earnest men of good will — get sucked into sanctioning atrocious crimes
- Power corrupts — and absolute power corrupts absolutely
- Evangelize egoism — My solution for all individual and social ills…
Here are some links to articles I have written in the past about achieving a gradual reduction in the size of government:
- A strategy for the Republican party that can actually win elections
- It’s not enough for the tea party movement to throw the bums out. To contain the federal government, we have to cut its powers.
- A rallying cry for the Tea Party rebellion: “You’re not the boss of me!”
- A real-estate professionals’ guide to anarchy in the USA
And here are today’s Spreecasts:
I’m doing this again Friday at 11 am MST. If you dare to join me, we can talk about your ideas…
The audio-only version of this video is linked below, or you can find the SelfAdoration.com podcast on iTunes.